About the Femineer™ Program
The Femineer™ Program was originally created and funded by Cal Poly Pomona’s College of Engineering in 2013 to inspire additional females to pursue Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) in their education and career. SDSU’s College of Engineering adopted the Femineer™ Program Fall 2016. The program provides K-12 students with project-based learning, female engineering student mentors, and opportunities to visit a Femineer™ affiliate university, while building a sustainable program and community for current and future STEM leaders.
- Safety procedures
- How to use tools
- How to work in teams to design robots out of everyday materials
- Basic circuitry and C programming
- How to use conductive thread, bright neopixels, and wearable microcontrollers
- 3-year program
- Program based on cohort of 24 students
- Each school year, students are engaged in a 30-hour project where they develop a finished product.
- At the end of each school year, participants will present their finished products at a Femineer Summit.
- Can be a class during school or after-school program.
- Teachers are required to attend a 3-day training workshop to learn that year’s curriculum.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Minimum B average math grade
- Outstanding behavior
- Outstanding attendance
- Recommendation from teacher
Upcoming Teacher Trainings at SDSU:
July 23-25, 2018*- Creative Robotics
July 23-25, 2018* - Wearable Technology
*The three-day workshops cost $650 per person (cost includes: 3-day training, tool bag, t-shirt, materials, and lunch). SDSU Femineer™ Teacher Training Registration Form for Summer 2018
If you’re interested in attending a Femineer™ Teacher Training at San Diego State University Fall 2018, please complete the Interest Form. For further information, please contact Michelle Bunn, SDSU Femineer™ Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The purpose of the San Diego State University College of Engineering (SDSU CoE) Adopt-a-Femineer™ School Program is to assist schools in starting up the SDSU CoE Femineer™ Program at their sites. In September 2018, four (4) schools that will be implementing the Creative Robotics for the first time to receive the following for the 2018-2019 academic year:
- Twelve (12) Hummingbird kits
- Twenty-four (24) tool bags filled with tools for completing the Creative Robotics curriculum
- Femineer™ sweatshirts for the participating teacher(s) and students
- A Femineer™ banner that includes your school’s name
3) Funding for Bus Transportation
- Full payment for bus transportation for the participating teacher(s) and students to attend the CoE Femineer™ Summit in April/May 2019.
Schools interested in applying must meet the following criteria:
1) Must have at least one representative who will attend Creative Robotics at San Diego State University.
2) Must be implementing the Creative Robotics curriculum for the first time.
3) Must have a cohort of 24 students participating in the SDSU Femineer™ Program during the 2018-2019 academic year.
4) Must be willing to promote this partnership with San Diego State University College of Engineering.
5) Must be able to sustain the SDSU CoE Femineer™ Program after the 2018-2019 academic year.
Rules for Applying
1) Only one application submission is permitted per school site. Adopt-a-Femineer Application Form
2) All fields of the application must be filled out, adhering to all word count limits set.
3) The application must be signed by a school administrator before submitting.
4) The application must be emailed to Michelle Bunn (email@example.com) by August 1, 2018 at 11:59pm PST.
Notification of Award
1) Chosen schools will be contacted via email on August 13, 2018. The notification will be sent to the email addresses of the applicant and the administrator that are included in the submitted application form.
1) San Diego State University College of Engineering will work with each chosen school to set up designated dates and times to deliver the supplies and accessories.
2) The invoice for bus transportation to the CPP Femineer™ Summit should be emailed to Michelle Bunn (firstname.lastname@example.org) by June 1, 2019.
Schools Currently Offering the Femineer™ Program
- Cal Poly Pomona
- San Diego State University
- University of Iowa
- Doty Middle School - Downey, CA
- Fremont Academy of Engineering & Design - Pomona, CA
- Griffiths Middle School - Downey, CA
- South El Monte High School - South El Monte, CA
- Stauffer Middle School - Downey, CA
- Sussman Middle School - Downey, CA
- Warren High School - Downey, CA
- Washington Middle School - La Habra, CA
- Whittier Christian Schools - Whittier, CA (2016-2017)
- Azusa High School - Azusa, CA
- Blue Valley Northwest High School - Overland Park, KS
- C.E. Utt Middle School - Tustin, CA
- Carlsbad High School - Carlsbad, CA
- Corona High School - Corona, CA
- Daisy Gibson Elementary School - Palmdale, CA
- Great Oaks High School - Temecula, CA
- Mountain View High School - El Monte, CA
- Pioneer Middle School - Tustin, CA
- Schurr High School - Montebello, CA
- Segerstrom High School - Santa Ana, CA
- South Pasadena High School - South Pasadena, CA
- Traweek Middle School - West Covina, CA
- Tustin High School - Tustin, CA
- A.G. Currie Middle School - Tustin, CA
- Buena Park Junior High School - Buena Park, CA
- Chino High School - Chino, CA
- Downey High School - Downey, CA
- Dwyer Middle School - Huntington Beach, CA
- Hawthorne High School - Hawthorne, CA
- Jerry D. Holland Middle School - Baldwin Park, CA
- John Rowland High School - Rowland Heights, CA
- Leona Jackson Middle School - Paramount, CA
- Los Alisos Middle School - Norwalk, CA
- McPherson Magnet School - Orange, CA
- Montebello High School - Montebello, CA
- Ramona High School - Ramona, CA
- Spring Valley Academy - Spring Valley, CA
- STEAM Legacy High School - South Gate, CA
- Zamboni Middle School - Paramount, CA