Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to use alternate routes or public transportation.
Public Safety will implement a traffic management plan for fall 2011 with staffing from multiple agencies to assist faculty, staff and students with traffic flow, directions and parking.
Traffic controllers will direct the flow of traffic from 7 a.m. - 11 a.m., Monday through Thursday, during the first two weeks of classes. Electronic signs will provide information about lots or structures that are full. There is an adequate supply of parking spaces for faculty, staff and students, but traffic congestion during the first few days of classes likely will make it difficult to reach in a timely way unless drivers arrive before or after peak hours.
Alternatives to College Ave.
SDSU commuters are encouraged to arrive early and consider using one of the following alternatives to the College Avenue exit off of Interstate 8 during peak hours (7:30 - 10:30 a.m.):
- From Interstate 8, take the 70th Street exit south to El Cajon Boulevard, turn right onto El Cajon Boulevard and right onto Montezuma Road to access east side parking
- From Interstate 8, take the Fairmount Road exit. Take Fairmount south to merge onto Montezuma Road and turn left on 55th Street to access west side parking.
- Use State Route 94 and exit at College Avenue. Take College Avenue north to Montezuma Road and turn right or left, depending on your destination.
Commuters are also encouraged to ride the Trolley or bus; SDSU subsidized monthly transit passes are available for purchase at the Viejas Arena Box Office. Visit www.sdmts.com to obtain schedule information.
Aztec Student Union construction
Students, faculty and staff should also be aware of the construction and parking changes, including the Aztec Student Union (anticipated completion is in fall 2013). During the Aztec Student Union construction period, commuters should be alert to the following:
- Closure of the Aztec Circle Drive entrance off College Avenue. To access Aztec Circle Drive, use Canyon Crest Drive (at College Avenue across from Alvarado Road) or Remington Road via 55th Street on the west side of campus.
- The 5-star parking lot south of Aztec Center (parking lot B) and a portion of parking lot W (north of Parking Structure 4) are fenced and closed for construction staging areas. Visit www.aztecstudentunion.com for information about this exciting project and construction changes.
- To assist with short-term and/or visitor parking, a pay permit station has been located on the top level (level 8) near the southwest elevators of Parking Structure 4.
Click here (opens PDF) to see an updated SDSU map with all parking lot and structure locations and designations, as well as construction areas.
Please contact the Parking Office with any questions at 619-594-6671.