- Applications for Fall 2020 are: CLOSED
- Applications for Fall 2021 will be accepted from: OCTOBER 1, 2020 to DECEMBER 15, 2020
Spring, Summer, and Winter admissions are not offered.
A complete application to the Engineering JDP includes:
- Online California State University graduate application and Interfolio supplemental application
a. Be sure to select San Diego State University for campus and one of the four degrees
in the Engineering JDP:
o Engineering Sciences (Bioengineering)
o Engineering Sciences (Electrical and Computer)
o Engineering Sciences (Mechanical and Aerospace)
o Engineering Sciences (Structural)
- Payment of application fee to SDSU
- Official transcripts from all previous institutions attended sent to SDSU Graduate
- Official certificates of all degrees earned sent to SDSU Graduate Admissions Office
- Official GRE and TOEFL (if applicable) scores sent to SDSU Graduate Admissions Office
- Resume/CV uploated to SDSU supplemental application
- Statement of Purpose uploaded to SDSU supplemental application
- Three letters of recommendation uploaded to SDSU supplemental application
- Acceptance by an SDSU faculty member to serve as advisor with confirmation sent to
SDSU Program Manager
- Online UCSD graduate application (to be completed after SDSU recommendation)
Steps 1 and 2 are completed via the California State University graduate application.
Steps 3 and 4 are completed by mailing official documents to the SDSU Graduate Admissions
Graduate Admissions Office
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
If any documents are in a language other than English, they must be translated either
by the issuing institution or a translation company selected by the applicant and
the original language document must be included with the translation.
Step 5 is completed by sending official scores from ETS to SDSU (ETS Code: 4682)
Steps 6, 7, and 8 are completed by submitting documents via the SDSU Interfolio supplemental application.
Step 9 is completed when the potential SDSU faculty advisor has informed the SDSU
Program Manager of his or her acceptance of the applicant by email. Completing this
step is required before an application will be reviewed. Applicants may contact faculty
members directly to inquire about serving as their advisor. A listing of faculty,
their research, and contact info can be found on each departmental website:
Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering
Electrical and Computer Engineering
The applications and ALL supporting documents including confirmation of adviser as
indicated in steps 1 thru 9 above must be submitted by February 15, 2020. Documents received after that date will not be processed and incomplete applications will
Step 10 is completed via the UCSD graduate application and is to be completed only after recommendation for acceptance by SDSU and at the
direction of the SDSU Program Manager.
Admission occurs when the applicant is formally accepted by the graduate divisions
of both SDSU and UCSD and then affirms their intent to enroll.
For more information contact:
Donovan Geiger, Joint Doctoral Program Manager
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: (619) 594-6079